Month: April 2016

Recording research/Planning production

Facetime #3.

The discussion was centered around two themes
1 – the logistics of production
2 – research and content
1.

P: In terms of logistics we identified that our preferred stock choice of 220gsm cartridge was unlikely to go through the photocopier or printer; opting for a 150gsm cartridge instead would be less restrictive and offer greater opportunity to develop work using known processes (as well as the convenience of production). Using a heavier weight for front and back covers would give the book stability.

T:  This decision will enable work to start on the project as we both have 150gsm paper in stock and can begin work independently.  Whilst this paper may differ slightly in colour and surface texture this  may  further support the rationale of generating individual responses and meeting in the middle.

P: We also identified that when printing 4 A6 postcards on an A4 – there was no opportunity for the image to bleed, therefore printing on a larger sheet size would combat this problem.  Another issue was typing – as an edition, each ‘story’ would have to be typed 8 times – a total of 18 cards per book would result in 144 typed cards, to reduce this amount of work we are now considering either typing once and photocopying seven times – or if each card is produced as 4 up on an A4, we could type each card just 4 times and photocopy back to back, at least reducing the workload by half. A production day in one location could be a possibility(?).

T:  We reviewed the sample post card story produced by P and confirmed that the maximum typewritten word count will be 80 words – less may be good? or a variety?  This limit of words will lead new social history research and story selection  to represent the sequence of 18 towns and villages within my half of the walk.

P to undertake stitch tests for the zig-zag joining, to ensure parity across each section of the book, and perhaps a new dummy should be made to identify additional pages for the colophon and to explore how the book joins the covers.

photo of photos
P:  found photographs for potential visual development

T:  experiments with layered relief printing on found surfaces 

2.

P:  It is interesting that independently we have developed our own system for recording information and highlighting completed/uncompleted areas of research.
Research for us both is a continuous process, and we still have places with unidentified individuals. One discussion was based around whether each page had to be completed or whether a gap was acceptable and would suggest the natural order of things. Rather than using specific imagery for these ‘unknown cards’ T suggested returning to our original photographic site research and using patterns found within the locations. We could also explore the idea of using enlarged sections of the OS map to identify these places. Although we were a little reluctant at first, the decision to accept ‘gaps’ shouldn’t be seen negatively, we should remember that we can control the way in which the project develops rather than becoming ‘slaves to a system’.

T:  Systems of project management are developing within our work – potentially drawing on our known methods of meeting deadlines, organising groups of data and managing multiple projects?  I particularly like P’s use of colour as a visual reference whilst my use of tables contains the facts but seems rather dry in comparison.

P: We agreed that it was a positive move to start developing and producing visual work based on the places where research is resolved; this should hopefully give the project momentum and offer us another outlet should we become frustrated by the research process! By putting the research into practice we should also be able to get a sense of how much we have already achieved.

Finally we discussed whether each card would have its own individual visual language or whether there should be a visual theme running through the work. Whilst there could be variations, we agreed that some sort of commonality would probably be more effective, but this is currently open to exploration.

T:  I am aware that I still have to find many village stories in addition to making decisions about editing these and visually representing them.  My starting point now is to allocate the information I have found to my 18 town table in order to identify missing stories.  I hope that this will provide a framework for the found stories to be edited and enable me to understand how each story fits with its neighbour

Research and more research

comp image

Since we met in the middle, research has an even greater focus with each site having to be represented by one or more individuals; on the face of it this seems a relatively easy task, however in reality research is taking many hours, and can often result in a dead end. The main difficulty is finding enough information about ‘ordinary people of the past’ to expand on potential stories. Unless the individuals were nobility or became famous, it is unlikely that much would be written about the ‘common man’ in the 19th or 20th century… so this is where the problem lies, and it is easy to become overwhelmed by the task! Stamford Library did however come up trumps again last week with the discovery of a Thomas Cook  connection – subsequently I found an entire book on him in the University Library with pictorial reference too, however it would be a shame if each site had to represented by the rich and famous.